Social Work

About the Program

There is a high need for individuals with degrees in social work in New Mexico. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the need for social workers is expected to grow twice as fast as any other occupation, especially in gerontology, home healthcare, substance abuse, private social service agencies, and school social work. Social workers help people in all stages of life, from children to the elderly ,and in all situations from adoption to hospice care.

You can find social workers in hospitals, schools, police departments, mental health clinics, private practices, military facilities, and corporations. Social workers work in a wide variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, homeless shelters and state agencies. Some social workers work for private agencies or not for profits. In many cases, the type of social work you do will determine your work environment. Many social workers also work as therapists, providing individual, couples or family counseling services. Medical social workers work in hospitals and hospice programs. They support families and individuals dealing with illness or loss, and may also serve as a valuable resource in terms of financial aid, navigating paperwork and other bureaucratic issues. Medical social workers may help families after the death of a loved one, may be available to assist families struggling with illness, and may provide information and support to the hospital personnel. Social workers in schools and children's services offices provide support and care to families and children. They may find themselves working to counsel abused children, working to prevent abuse or neglect, or even just assisting children through traumatic events.

Many social workers find jobs in state agencies of various sorts, including child protective services, groups assisting the disabled, or working with the elderly. There are as many places for social workers to work as there are types of social workers and career choices for social work.

An associate’s degree in social work is often required for obtaining a position as a social services assistant. Social workers are typically required to have a bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW) or higher. A master’s degree in social work (MSW) can provide opportunities for advancement into clinical social work or social services management

Associate of Arts in Child, Youth, and Family Development with Social Work Concentration

This degree allows students to meet the general education 35 hour core requirements and provides students with many elective choices to suit their interests in the field of social work, such as, criminal justice, child development, psychology, and sociology.  This degree is designed to fully transfer to the Bachelors of Social Work at NMHU (Albuquerque and Rio Rancho centers).

Click here for a complete list of degree requirements.

Program Contact Information

Students interested in this degree should contact CNM Academic Advisement and Career Development or email us at